- Target your job search to specific employers and then either call the employer or send them a spontaneous e-mail to let them know about your interest in their company.
- Have credible references who will market you to targeted employers.
- Branch out beyond your personal network.
- Arrange an introduction by an acquaintance so that you can meet the decision maker at a social or workplace function.
- Lead with passion rather than your jobless status and don’t submit your resume until the employer had met you and is already interested.
- Show then Tell – Do volunteer work, internships, temp work or consulting work to show rather than just tell the employer about your talents.
Adapted from MacDougall, A. and Sanders-Park, E. (2010) The 6 Reasons You’ll Get the Job